+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Short fill of order in warehouse

Short fill of order in warehouse

Gentlemen,

Every warehouse makes occasional errors, and so I have to assume that from time to time an order that should be able to fill complete will be short a line item or a piece.

I'm following the normal flow of process orders which as I understand it is:
    1) order entry or import
    2) fill backorders
    3) process payments

4) At this point the current orders appear on the invoicing tab. I've copied and modified the invoice report to serve as a pick document for the warehouse. These will print as a group and then be sent to the warehouse to pick.

Most of them should fill 100% and proceed on to the shipping tab, however occasionally a line item or a quantity will need adjustment. When the paper document is returned to me with the adjustments pencilled in, I presume the right choice is to edit the order. At this point I need a little help with 2 items

1- Inventory status
    Lets assume that the customer ordered two items, and the first is filled complete, but the second one is a piece short. Ordered 4 shipping 3. If I force a backorder all 4 pieces go into back order which I don't want. I can fill the line complete and add a line to the order for the one piece thats short, and then force a backorder on that line - but this creates a packing list that is likely to confuse a customer. What is the best way to show 4 ordered, 3 shipped 1 backordered on the documents going to the customer?

I understand that a cycle count of the item and adjustment to the inventory will be needed to get shelf and system back in sync.

2- Credit processing
    The customers credit card is going to be authorized for the full amount of the order before the warehouse shortfill activity. My understanding is that the normal credit process for mailware is auto settlement (whatever gets authorized is automatically settled for that amouht to the merchants account at end of day). What is the appropriate way to reduce the charge to the customer by the amount of the short shipped item?

Thanks for your assistance in sorting this out.

HomeHelp Bill

Hopefully this is not a stumper. Any ideas here would be very much appreciated.

HomeHelp Bill

Bill,

Our inventory and shipping charges vary as well, so we set up our web cart so that it does not charge the card. We just take the card info off the server and run it through MW once the order is finalized.

Back orders - maybe not the most elegant way, but once you know your true inventory number of a product, you can delete that product from the invoice, adjust the inventory level of the product and then re enter the product on the invoice. It will then show the true number shipped and B/O'd

Mark
    Speaker Kits made for you and nobody else
    www.meniscusaudio.com

Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Any order processing system must be able to gracefully accomodate a warehouse pick error (made by even the most dedicated staff), or a perpetual inventory error. I'm sure that Mailware must have a way to accomplish this. Wouldn't it be wonderful if someone from support who knows how to do this would reply to my question wihich has now been hanging in space for 3 weeks?

Sincerely

HomeHelp Bill

Administrator

Hi Bill,

Sorry about that. Our original response did not post. A copy is below. Please let us know if this answers your questions:
    1. Add another of the same item to the order. Force Backorder the original item and then change its quantity to the # you wish to show in Backorder (BO) status. If necessary adjust the second item to the # you wish to show in Committed (CM) status. On the invoice two line items will appear - one with the number in BO status and one with the number in CM or SH (Shipped) status. This is a normal way to display items in partial shipped status. Some invoices show the line item as a single line with the # in BO and CM split on the same line. Mailware does not currently support this type of display. You can however hide zeroes which makes the display more readable. You can also insert notes in the Custom Description that appears below each item. These can both help clarify the status of the items.
    2. Mailware does not submit the settlement to your provider. That usually happens automatically or with a manual batch submission. If you need to alter a payment it is better to void the original charge and then submit a new charge. This saves fees for charging and then refunding and then charging the lower amount - each of which incurs charges. You can void payments through your processor's interface (usually a web site) and then add a new payment to Mailware and authorize directly from the order if you have that feature set up in Mailware (there will be an Authorize button on your Payment screen if so). Be sure to cancel the original payment. Both are on the original order under the Payment tab.

+ Reply to Thread