We regularly release free updates for the latest version of Mailware that include bug fixes, new features and changes to documentation. You can download and install them from the link in the instructions below.
Upgrades¬†have been historically released every year in the first quarter. These are paid releases that include new features and functionality. You can also use upgrade to reinstall an old version of Mailware.
Instructions for installing updates and upgrades follow.
Quick Jump to:
- Check your version and build of Mailware by clicking Help>About on the text menu.
- Download the latest build from our Updates page (e.g.,¬†http://www.mailware.com/revision-history/2011-revisions/revision-history-2011/)
- Close Mailware then run the downloaded file and follow the prompts.
- Run Mailware and if prompted be sure to Backup then Update¬†the database.
Note:¬†If you are using Client/Server you will need to backup your database manually with a third party tool or by simply copying the data directory to another location.
Note: Do not skip this step. Mailware automatically adds and modifies fields in your database to work with the installed version. If you skip the update Mailware will not work properly.¬†You can run the database update from Mailware as well. Make sure all windows in Mailware are closed, except for the Mailware Explorer (Menu screen) then click Tools>Update Database… from the text menu. We recommend you run Tools>Backup first.
- If you have multiple workstations be sure to run the update on each one by following the steps above. If a workstation has an earlier version of Mailware it may still run but will give the following error message:
Use the instructions above to install the update and remove this error message.
- Upgrades are paid version upgrades to your Mailware install, for example when you upgrade from Mailware 2010 to Mailware 2011. Upgrades are optional and install to a separate directory so your original install is not affected. To apply an upgrade use the following steps.Note: You can install an upgrade for free to try it out before buying.
- Download the Mailware upgrade from our site (e.g.,¬†http://www.mailware.com/revision-history/2011-revisions/revision-history-2011/). Select the download for the “FULL INSTALL” rather than the update.
- Run the downloaded file and follow the prompts to complete the install.
- Open your previous version of Mailware. Click Tools>Backup and make a backup of your database. Note: If you are using Client/Server you will need to backup your database manually with a third party tool or by simply copying the data directory to another location.
- Click File>Open Database on the text menu. In the dialog that opens write down the path for each directory (Company) you have set up in Mailware. This is the location of your data directory(ies).
In the dialog above your data directories are listed next to each company name (e.g., Cell Phones 4 U is located in c:\users\public\cellphones4u).
- Close your previous version of Mailware.
- OPTIONAL: You can copy over your preferences from your previous install of Mailware to the new version. To do so open Windows Explorer and browse to the install location of your previous install (e.g., C:\Program Files\Mailware 2010). In that folder find the Mailware.ini (or the file named Mailware with a type of Configuration File) and right click it. Choose Copy to copy it to the Windows clipboard. Then browse to the new install directory and paste the file over the existing one of the same name.
- Open your new version of Mailware. Click File>Open Database. You will see a dialog similar to the one above. It should contain one or two sample databases (e.g., Lord’s Flower and Garden, Cell Phones 4 U…). Click one of these and then click the Edit button at the bottom of the dialog.
- In the dialog that opens change the Name and Directory to one of the ones you wrote down in step 5 above, then click OK.
- Select the newly created directory and click OK in the Open Database dialog. This will switch Mailware to your existing database. At this point you will very likely be prompted to update the database as in step 4 of Installing Updates above. Click the Update button to do so (you can also backup your data again if you like). When the update is complete you will be returned to Mailware and your data will be updated to work with the new version.
Note:¬† If you are evaluating a new version you can make a copy of your database directory and point to that location instead of your current database. That will allow you to continue running your old version until you are ready to upgrade.For pricing information on upgrades please visit http://www.mailware.com/upgrades/upgrade-mailware/.